Farwell’s Mills – Clarendon

Home  /  Locations  /  Current Page
×Details

Holley Byron Rd and Church St
Clarendon, NY
Get Directions →

Inscription

Farwell’s Mills
Here Eldered Farwell, first white settler of town, built the first mills in Clarendon
Saw mill in 1811
Grist mill in 1813

Erected

State Education Department 1932

What was there

A saw mill and grist mill built by pioneer settler, Eldered Farwell. He served as the first Clarendon Town Supervisor, and a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas in 1825, when Orleans County was formed. The village around the Creek was often called Farwell’s Mills in honor of its first settler.

What is there now

A seasonal waterfall on Sandy Creek in a small village park with pavilion and veteran memorial. Some stone blocks from the mill foundation are still stacked along the escarpment and scattered below.

More information

Submitted by

We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
Matthew Conheady



+Gallery
+Meta

Posted: August 31, 2011

Author:

Category: Locations, Niagara Frontier, Orleans County

Tags: , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.