3108 Main Street
Caledonia, New York 14423
Get Directions →
Erected 1826 by Major Gad Blakslee
Early post office
Apothecary shop and now Caledonia library
1932 – State Education Department
What was there
General Gad Blakslee resided here initially and then the building served as a post office, bank, apothecary shop & library.
What is there now
Since 1910 it has been the home of the Caledonia Library – started in 1873 by a group of women who met in the old brick hotel. There they formed a Library Association and pledged $5 apiece to buy books. A charter was obtained in 1877 in the name of the Ladies Circulating Library Society of Caledonia. Changed to the Caledonia Library Association in 1917.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: