Peterson’s Tavern – Binghamton

Home  /  Locations  /  Central-Leatherstocking  /  Broome County  /  Current Page
×Details

113 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905
Get Directions →

Inscription

Site of Peterson’s Tavern
First meeting place of the newly incorporated village of Binghamton
May 3, 1834

Erected

Unknown

What was there

Peterson’s Tavern, operated by Samuel Peterson, War of 1812 Veteran, and native of Philadelphia.  Then the Chenango House.

What is there now

First Congressional Church

More information

Excerpt from “Broome County” by Bellflower Press (1895):

The most noted of these early hotels was the one erected in 1809 by David Brownson and known as ”Peterson’s Tavern,” from its landlord Samuel Peterson who kept it many years. It was afterwards called Chenango House, and was located where the Congregational church now stands. This hotel was destroyed by fire in 1859, having enjoyed a period of prosperity and patronage for fifty years. Colonel Abbott and Lewis Squires built the Broome County House in 1828. This stood where the present Exchange Hotel is now located. It was burned in 1838, and was soon after rebuilt and called the Phoenix Hotel until 1842 when the name was changed to Exchange Hotel. Since that time it has received many improvements.

Excerpt from “Binghamton : its settlement, growth and development, and the factors in its history, 1800-1900” by William Summer Lawyer (1900):

One of the most interesting periods in the early history of our village was that usually termed stage coaching days. When the system was at its best the daily arrival and departure of the stages was an occasion of great moment among the villagers, while the ever active agents and speculators were constantly on hand to extol the qualities of the land held by them for sale. Our streets were nightly thronged with strangers and frequently the capacity of the village taverns was overtaxed.

The old Binghampton hotel, at the corner of Court and Water streets, Peterson’s tavern, at the corner of Main and Front streets, and the Broome County house (afterward the Phoenix and still later the Exchange hotel) were almost daily crowded with guests, business men and village hangers-on; and around the barns and in the streets stage coaches and vehicles of every description added to the thriving appearance of the place. The first serious blow to the staging industry in this locality was the construction of the Chenango canal, and the finishing stroke followed when the principal lines of steam railroads were opened for traffic.

In this connection it is interesting to recall the names of some of the more prominent stage coach drivers who traveled through the village and made headquarters at the taverns of the place. They were “Jack ” Finch, ” Dave ” Bartle (who drove on the Binghamton, Corbettsville and Montrose line, and was a general favorite along the whole route), James Peterson (colored), John B. Bowen (who in later years was one of our most respected citizens), Erastus R, Campbell (afterward a business man in the city, for years chief of the fire department, and whose familiar figure is daily seen on our public streets), “Hank ” Wolverton, Isaac Wilber, Ira Jennings, Milton Tousley, James Ager, Lemuel Winton, John Lampkins, Emory Truesdell (on the Montrose line), Asa and Merritt Truesdell, James Rockenstyre, Andrew Carter, “Jake” Hogan, Hubert Hogan, David Wormer and Harry Nash.

Submitted by

We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
Kelly Lucero
Matthew Conheady (research)



+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: September 1, 2011

Author:

Category: Broome County, Central-Leatherstocking, Locations

Tags: , , , , , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.