The village of St. Helena was originally part of Mary Jemison’s Gardeau Reservation. Setters moved here after she sold most of her property in 1823. At its peak, St. Helena was a prosperous riverside hamlet with a flour mill, two sawmills, a shingle mill, paper mill, two general stores and 25 dwellings.
In the 1930s, with few people living in St. Helena, the utility companies acquired the land with plans to build a power-generating dam at Mt. Morris. In 1950, as a flood-control dam neared completion, the last homes were removed, the cemetery relocated to Castile, and the bridge dismantled. Today, St. Helena’s fields and foundations are covered with 15 feet of mud that has settled from flood waters held behind the Mt. Morris Dam.
By NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation — Date unknown.
What was there
The village of St. Helena; CCC Camp 76, 261st Company
What is there now
Picnic areas; a dirt road down to the rocky shore of the Genesee River.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: