5605-5799 New York 36
Mt Morris, NY 14510
Get Directions →
(Valley begins to widen)
Seneca Indian village
The spring used by Mary Jemison is nearby
1932 by the State Education Department.
What was there
The Seneca village of De-yu-it-ga-oh, which was home to some warriors and their captives. They settled here because of a freshwater spring and fertile land below the hill. The “White Woman of the Genesee,” Mary Jemison once lived here. It was set aside as a reservation by the Treaty of Big Tree in 1797, but was abandoned in 1825.
What is there now
A small dirt pullover, a trail that leads to the spring (which is dammed), a wooded hollow surrounded by glacial moraines. This location is along Squawkie Hill, which is the last elevation drop of the Letchworth valley going north.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: