Palmyra Area

Home  /  Locations  /  Finger Lakes  /  Current Page
×Details

4147-4199 Palmyra-Newark Rd
Palmyra, NY 14522
Get Directions →

Inscription

Historic New York

Palmyra Area

Here before the white man came, lived the Cayuga and Seneca Indians. Their displacement after the Revolution, when many went to Canada, opened the land to settlers. Massachusetts which claimed a large portion of western New York sold it’s holdings to land speculators, Phelps and Gorham. Settlement was later actively promoted by Charles Williamson, agent for the Pulteney Associates. The rapid growth of villages followed completion of the Erie Canal in 1825.

Incidents in this area raised social and religious issues of national importance. In 1826 the disappearance of William Morgan produced the Anti-Masonic movement. The vision of Joseph Smith on the Hill of Cumorah, near Palmyra, resulted in the Book of Mormon and the founding of the Church of Latter-Day Saints. The home of the Fox Sisters, near Hydesville, is regarded as the ”birthplace of spiritualism.”

Small industries grew up along the Erie Canal and the New York Central Railroad, but the region remained rural. It is known for fruit orchards and horticultural nurseries, especially the growing of roses.

Erected

Education Department
State of New York 1961
Department of Public Works

What was there

Unknown.

What is there now

A truck stop (no service).

More information

Submitted by

We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
Kyle Hobart



+Gallery
+Related
+Meta
+Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.