Corner of Main St. and Cottage St.
Get Directions →
One of the widest bridges in the world
399 ft. in Width
129 ft. in Length
State Education Department – 1932
What was there
A large 3-hinged arch bridge that was built in 1914 to span the Barge Canal and allow for barge clearance.
What is there now
The bridge still exists. This sign is the beginning of self-guided tour, of the stair step lock system, expounding the principal existence for the city of Lockport, due to its proximity to the Erie barge canal. The lock system itself, in its time was an engineering marvel, created out of necessity, to complete the last leg of heavy water transportation and commerce to the Great Lakes.
The “Big Bridge” overshadows the Erie barge canal lock location in the city of Lockport. Still adequately transports daily traffic, but a small section of it is used for parking for the Lockport City Hall, which is on its North West corner. Because of the bridge’s central location in the city of Lockport, also within a very short walk to emergency services such as ambulance and the local fire department, and above all its clear open airspace, the bridge often is used as a helipad for medevac services.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: