550-560 Water Street
Youngstown, NY 14174
Get Directions →
Site of the John Young Store
A general store, built in 1808 by John Young, after whom the village was named.
Known as the Red Store.
Porter Historical Society – (date unknown)
What was there
General Store from 1808 to 1813.
What is there now
A small town park.
- John Young, who lived across the Niagara River in Canada, saw a business opportunity and built the store on the landing area in 1809.
Was fairly successful at this business venture for a short amount of time. During the war of 1812 British soldiers seeking revenge for the destruction by American military, destroyed the entire town by fire including, John Young’s business.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: