59-69 Montgomery Street
Newburgh, NY 12550
Get Directions →
Montgomery Street Station, one of the world’s earliest central electric stations, began service here in 1884. Built by Thomas A. Edison.
Central Hudson – 1984
What was there
The Montgomery Street electric station.
What is there now
The original Montgomery Street Station still stands at this site and is still in use by Central Hudson Gas and Electric.
- On April 1, 1884, one of the country’s first central electric generating stations opened in Newburgh. Thomas Alva Edison personally supervised the construction of the facility which was designed to produce power for incandescent lighting.This is one of the earliest power plants and is still in use by Central Hudson Gas & Electric.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
John M Furey