5768 Main Street
Get Directions →
U.S. Barracks 1812
Along Garrison Road to creek and extending southeast were log barracks of Gen. Smyth’s army during winter of 1812 and ’13. These buildings were later used as hospital.
State Education Department – 1939
What was there
U.S. Army barracks for General Alexander Smyth’s troops after he attempted to invade Canada. Log homes served as a barracks from winter of 1812 until the following spring. After, the homes were used to treat troops from Fort George and Lewiston.
What is there now
A commercial lot. In other words, nothing. A gas station was recently demolished there.
Unfortunately, this is one of those signs that talks about its past history and has succumbed to modern commercial endeavors. This area has become prime commercial real estate shovel-ready for another development. The surrounding area is a busy and thriving residential area.
Although originally a lawyer, General Smyth returned to law after the war, and eventually served as congressman for 4 terms.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: