Gu-ya-no-ga

Home  /  Locations  /  Finger Lakes  /  Current Page
×Details

3858 Back Road
Branchport, New York 14418
Get Directions →

Inscription

Here lived Gu-ya-no-ga
Indian chief of the Seneca Nation
Friend of the Revolution

Erected

State Education Department – 1932

What was there

The wigwam of Chief Guyanoga, friend of the white man and one of the last Indians to occupy this valley.

What is there now

Stone monument to Guyanoga, a private residence (previously an 18th century tavern and grange), a 2D metal depiction of Guyanoga and the historic marker.

More information

  • Guyanoga: The Indian Born From a Cider Barrel
  • Guyanoga was known to have rendered important services to General George Washington during the American Revolution.
  • The stone monument was unveiled on August 27,1910 at the First Annual Jerusalem Farmers’ Picnic, exactly 102 years to the day, prior to this posting.

Submitted by.

We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
Kelly Lucero



+Gallery
+Related
+Meta

Posted: August 27, 2012

Author:

Category: Finger Lakes, Locations, Yates County

Tags: , , , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.