1092 Lakeside Rd
Waterport, NY 14571
Get Directions →
Church erected in 1835 on land donated by George Kuck
Kuckville United Methodist Church — 1985
What was there
The village of Kuckville (founded 1815), once West Carlton, which comprised 500 acres of land, a mill, Methodist church, general store, warehouse, and several residences.
What is there now
George Kuck’s home and general store is now a private residence. The neighboring church-like building (now owned by a non-profit organization) is suspected to be the original Kuckville Methodist Church (unconfirmed). A marker, similar in look to the official historic markers is placed in front of this church-like building—it was placed there by a nonprofit organization’s founder in honor of his mother.
George Kuck was born in London England, December 23 1791, where he was educated at King’s College. He crossed the ocean in 1806 settled in Toronto, Canada and served in the war of 1812 as lieutenant in the Canadian militia. In 1815, he removed to Carlton, New York and bought 500 acres of land, part of which now comprises the village of Kuckville. Here he erected a grist mill on Johnson’s Creek, opened a store, built a warehouse, and became a man of prominence in the community. He married Electa Fuller in 1819 by whom he had nine children. He donated the land and funds to build the Kuckville Methodist Church, where he was reverend. He served as postmaster at Kuckville for nearly thirty years. He and his wife are now buried in Mt. Albion Cemetery.
Kuckville United Methodist Church has since been absorbed into.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: