62-96 E Genesee St
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Get Directions →
St. John’s Beach
Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff and David Zeisberger, Moravian Missionaries, built the first Skaneateles shelter on this site
By the Village of Skaneateles — 1999
What was there
Moravian missionary shelter during a 3-year missionary campaign in the Iroquois nation.
What is there now
St. James’ Episcopal Church and Thayer Park in Skaneateles.
A bronze plaque on St. James Church further commemorates this event. It reads:
Here also Col. Gansevoort’s hundred men bearing the American flag, rested September 22, 1779, on their eastward march from Sullivan’s Army.
Erected by the Onondaga Historical Association and the Women’s Village Improvement Association, 100th year, St. James’ Parish, 1915
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: