14-20 E Genesee St
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Get Directions →
Site of the Great Fire
September 28, 1935
Thirteen lakeside buildings were destroyed commencing in Parsons Cabinet Shop
Village of Skaneateles — 2001
What was there
Lakeside shops and residences and a School house that comprised the core of the village. The businesses destroyed were: Parsons’ Cabinet Shop; John Legg’s Carriage Manufactory; M. A. Kinney’s Columbian Printing Office; Nathaniel C. Miller’s Saddlery Shop; W. M. Beauchamp’s Book Store & Bindery; Dr. Samuel Porter’s office; Noadiah Kellogg’s Saddlery Shop; General Stores of B. S. Wolcott & Co., Charles Pardee, Gibbs & Burnett, James G. Porter, Phares Gould, Nelson Hawley & Co., and Richard Talcott & Co.
What is there now
Brick lakeside buildings now house restaurants, shops, offices, and residences.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damages and destroyed the town records.
The first Skaneateles fire company was formed in 1822.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: