9 Mt Pleasant St
Naples, NY 14512
Get Directions →
On this site was organized the “The First Religious Compact of Middletown 1800”. The Church was built in 1824
By the State Education Department — 1940
What was there
The first religious meeting center in Middletown, now known as Naples. First services were conducted in a log barn, and then a log schoolhouse next door. Several sources state December, 1825 as the date the Congregational church building was completed and dedicated. The marker states 1824 which may have been when construction began. In later years the congregation shifted towards Presbyterian. In 1850 a new church was built to the south. The original, at this location, was torn down in 1870 or 1871.
What is there now
A village park now exists here, at what is now called “The Square” and the church’s gated cemetery is still there, housing some of the founders and dignitaries of the town.
- Reverend Solomon Allen was the first regular pastor of the organization starting in 1803.
- Naples, NY History
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: