Corner of Keehl St and Maplewood Dr.
Get Directions →
In 1807 seven Hanford brothers renewed King’s Landing settlement and built a mill, hotel and shipping center here.
By the County of Monroe — 1990
What was there
First King’s Landing, then Hanford’s Landing, the second pioneer settlement in the Rochester vicinity, founded by seven Hanford brothers, who built a mill, shipping dock and warehouses along the landing in the gorge, and the “Steamboat Hotel” on the bank above.
Evidence of a Native American Palisaded Fort has also been found in the vicinity and is denoted with its own historic marker.
What is there now
Monroe County Pure Waters air filtration system for an Eastman Kodak Company industrial wastewater treatment facility (the facility is below the bluff at King’s Landing). The area surrounding the filtration structures is now a park, the Genesee Riverway Trail now runs through here and a pedestrian bridge crosses the Genesee River at this point.
Next to the historic marker is a mill stone, supposedly brought up from Hanford’s Landing.
See the marker for King’s Landing for more information.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: