4370 Buffalo Rd
North Chili, NY 14514
Get Directions →
Early State Stop
Here in 1867, The old tavern, stage stop and post office on historic Buffalo Road became the location of Chili Seminary, a school founded in 1866 by Benjamin Titus Roberts as the first educational institution for the Free Methodist Church of North America. Later named Chesbrough Seminary (1885) and Roberts Junior College (1945), the school was chartered as Roberts Wesleyan College in 1949.
By the County of Monroe — 1976
What was there
A pioneer stagecoach stop, inn, tavern and post office (c. 1816), built by War of 1812 veteran Captain John Wetmore. In 1867 it became the start of the Free Methodist Seminary institution which is now Roberts Wesleyan College to the east.
What is there now
The original building still stands but is now occupied by a commercial business. A Walgreens drugstore now occupies the corner. The former Stagecoach Inn building takes up a portion of the Walgreens parking lot.
Benjamin Titus Roberts was an abolitionist and supporter of women’s rights. He founded the Chili Seminary School in the building after the Inn closed and today the institution’s (now a complex just to the east) enrollment approaches 2,000 students.
In 2006, development of the corner of Union and Buffalo Rds threatened the future of the Stagecoach Inn. In 2007, with funding from Walgreens (where were planning to build a store on the corner) and a private developer, and easement agreement was signed and the exterior of the building was rehabilitated.
- B. T. Robert’s marker
- News article about the agreement
- History of Roberts Wesleyan College
- Chili Stagecoach Inn anecdote
- Benjamin Titus Roberts (Wikipedia)
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: