1605 Buffalo Road
Gates, New York 14624
Get Directions →
Town of Gates
Named in 1813
Last remnant of old Town of Northamptopn.
Marker 2 (located 50 feet to the east of the first marker):
Established March 30, 1802 as part of Northampton.
June 10, 1812 named for General Horatio Gates, Hero of Saratoga, 1777.
Subdivided into Gates and Greece, March 22, 1822.
Geographical center of Monroe County.
By the County of Monroe — 1959
By the County of Monroe — 1976
What was there
Northampton the first town west of the Genesee River (organized in 1797), which was annexed a total of 9 times. The remaining 15 square miles of Northampton became the Town of Gates in 1812.
What is there now
The Gates Community Center, a modern municipal building (built in 1969) housing the town hall, police headquarters, and town courts. Hope Hall, a school for “at-risk” or “educationally stranded” children, is across the street. The Town of Gates is home to 28,400 people (2010 census) and the headquarters of Wegmans (grocery chain).
Northampton was annexed a total of 9 times.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: