Ossian Center

Home  /  Locations  /  Finger Lakes  /  Current Page
×Details

4706 Ossian Hill Road
Dansville, New York
Get Directions →

Inscription

Ossian Center
Settled in 1804 by Judge Richard and James Porter.  They, with their brother, Nathaniel, were the first settlers in town

Erected

By the State Education Department — 1932

What was there

The community of Ossian Center, which included a sawmill and a gristmill.

What is there now

A very rural four-corners in the extreme southernmost part of Livingston County.  Ossian Town Hall is on one corner, an aging garage on another, a private residence on the third, and an agricultural plot on the fourth.

More information

  • Originally part of Allegany County, Ossian annexed to Livingston County around 1856.  Ossian was the least populous town in Livingston County according to the 1990 Census, with 797 inhabitants.
  • Ossian, NY – Wikipedia
  • History of Ossian

Submitted by

We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry:
Kelly Lucero



+Gallery
+Meta

Posted: October 2, 2012

Author:

Category: Finger Lakes, Livingston County, Locations

Tags: , , , , , ,

+Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.