28 State St.
Get Directions →
The first house in Pittsford Village was erected on this spot by Israel Stone in 1789
By the State Education Department — 1938
What was there
The log cabin of pioneer Israel Stone, who came to this area with his cousin, Simon Stone, after purchasing 13,296 acres of land from Oliver Phelps and Nathaniel Gorham. The cousins were veterans of the Revolutionary War. Simon built his cabin just to the south (near present day East St.), while Israel built his here on this site, at The Big Spring, a freshwater spring and Seneca camping ground. The Spring site was later destroyed by the construction of the Erie Canal. Following their first winter in the new western NY settlement, the Stones went back to their home town in Salem, NY to bring more family members to their new home, which became known as Stonetown, and eventually grew to become the Village of Pittsford.
What is there now
The original home is no longer here. Adjacent to the sign is a home that was built in 1815. It currently houses a studio photography business. The Erie Canal runs by the north of the site.
- Israel Stone was married to Lucy Root, and fathered 3 children.
- Simon and Israel Stone: Co-Founders of the town of Northfield
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: