Corner of Main and State streets
Get Directions →
Federal style inn built about 1812 to serve Erie Canal and Turnpike trade. Restored 1967
Town of Pittsford Bicentennial Committee — Date unknown
What was there
As early as 1807, a wood tavern existed here, operated by Glover Perrin. At the time this location was well outside the Village of Pittsford, which later relocated to this area after the plans for the Erie Canal were made public. This tavern burned down in 1814, and the property was sold to John Acer.
The current Federal-style brick building was constructed some time after, although despite what the marker says, the actual year is unknown. It is estimated that it was built in-between 1814 and 1822. The nearby Hargous-Briggs Mansion on South Main looks very similar in style, and was possibly constructed by the same builder. Since the mansion was completed in 1812, some guess the tavern was built around that time as well. The inn and tavern operated as a local gathering place and served as a stagecoach stop from Canandaigua to Rochester (a 2 day journey). Stagecoach guests frequented the Phoenix Hotel enough for a 60-horse barn to be constructed in the back.
The inn changed hands several times, from L. C. Smith to George and H.L. Tyler in 1927, who operated it as the Tyler’s Inn. In 1933 it became the Old Heidelbert Bavarian Inn featuring German cuisine and entertainment, but that changed in 1942 when Germany became an enemy of the United States. It then became the Pittsford Inn.
As modern hotels were built and highways allowed for overnight trips to become day trips, business at the old inn dwindled. The hotel exterior was remodeled and a gas-station was build right out front. The grand 3rd floor ballroom was eventually divided to make more guestrooms. A fire in 1963 destroyed much of the interior and the Inn closed.
Andrew Wolfe, of Wolfe Publications, purchased the building in 1964 and used it for offices for the Genesee Valley Newspapers as well as leased commercial space. Much of the building was restored, including the exterior and the grand ballroom.
What is there now
The building now houses commercial and office space.
- The Phoenix Hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Here is the application.
- Historic Pittford Buildings: Phoenix Hotel
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: