East Park and Big Tree Road
Get Directions →
Town of Pavilion
Formed from Covington, Wyoming Co., May 19, 1841. In 1842, a portion of the townships of LeRoy & Stafford were annexed.
By the Genesee County Bicentennial Committee — 2002
What was there
A settlement, originally in the Town of Covington, Wyoming County, first inhabited by Isaac D. Lyon in 1805. The town was named in 1825 by Harmon Betts, after the Pavilion Hotel in Saratoga, NY.
An excerpt from “From Our County and its People: A Descriptive and Biographical Record of Genesee County, New York” (1899), editor: Safford E. North, describes the town’s principal village at the time:
Pavilion is the chief village. It is located near the centre of the southern half of the, town, on the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg Railroad. It contains about four hundred inhabitants, four churches- Baptist, Methodist Episcopal, Catholic and Universalist-but no services have been held by the latter society in several years. There are also a good public school, a hotel, and nine stores, a Grand Army Post and a lodge of Odd Fellows. The manufacturing industries consist of the salt works of Senator Humphrey, of Warsaw; a large flouring mill, a fruit evaporator, a wagon shop and a blacksmith shop. A bean picking and packing establishment owned by Archibald D. Sanders of Stafford, and operated by S. D. White, was burned in the spring of 1898.
A 1904 map shows on the corner of Ellicott St and W. Park Street existed Graves Hall (on the corner), the establishment of Chilson & Brown, and that of Orville B. Shumway. These three buildings are now modern businesses. Southwest of those, across from Cato St is the former John Doty residence. He was the town physician for 50 years. A hotel and bowling alley existed on the corner of Ellicott St. and CR-19 on the northeast.
What is there now
According to 2010 census data, the town was just shy of 2500 inhabitants with a predominantly agriculture-based economy. Several buildings, dating back to the 1800s, can be found within the village of Pavilion. The hotel, which existed there as early as 1866, and the bowling alley that was once next to it, is now the site of a gas station.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: