Corner of Center Rd and RT 34
Get Directions →
Town of Scipio
One of the original towns of the Military Tract formed in 1794. Named after the Roman General
By the State Education Department — 1935
What was there
The town of Scipio, in Cayuga County, was formed March 5, 1794 as part of the Central New York Military Tract, a 2 million acre bounty set aside for Revolutionary War soldiers. Originally, it included what is now the Town of Sempronius (separated March 9, 1799), part of Marcellus (separated in 1804-now in Onondaga County), part of Springport, and the towns of Ledyard and Venice (all separated in January 1823).
The first settlements were in 1790 by Elisha Durkee, Henry Watkins, Gilbert and Alanson Tracy, Samuel Branch, Ebenezer Witter, and Gideon Allen.
What is there now
The location of the sign is the intersection of RT-34 and Center Rd, the heart of Scipio Center. The area has a few businesses and several dilapidated structures.
The 2010 census showed just over 1,700 residents in the town. The economy is predominantly agricultural.
The Howland Stone Store Museum, in the Hamlet of Sherwood, was built in 1837, and operated as a canal-era general store. It now serves as a history museum.
- Scipio was named after Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (236–183 BC), or Scipio The African, a Roman general. All of the townships created as part of the Military Tract were named after Greek and Roman literary characters.
- Birthplace of James Strang (March 21, 1813 – July 9, 1856) , founder of the Mormon church of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite).
- The Howland Stone Store Museum
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: