110 East 4th Street
Get Directions →
The Underground Railroad
Here at the home of Silas Shearman pioneer settler and ardent abolitionist was the principal Jamestown “station” of the Underground Railroad where in the late fifties escaping slaves from the south were sheltered and assisted on their way to freedom in Canada.
The Jamestown Centennial Commission and the State of New York — 1927
What was there
The home of Silas Shearman, staunch abolishionist and saddle/harness maker, stood at the southeast corner of Pine and Fourth Streets from 1829 until 1910. Here he assisted escaped slaves by providing food, clothing and shelter as they headed north.
What is there now
Nothing remains of the Shearman home. Standing currently on this corner is the Chatauqua County – South County Office Building. The marker is attached to a rock in one of the garden areas along Pine Street.
- Shearman was born December 11, 1803 in Newport County, RI and died September 2, 1891 in Jamestown, NY.
- Shearman arrived in Jamestown in 1821. His military duties during the Civil War included Captain of Cavalry, Major and Lieutenant Colonel of the 162nd regiment of the 43rd Brigade, New York State Militia.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: