32 Brick Church Road
Brunswick, New York
Get Directions →
District No. 6 school c. 1830 brick school built on land granted by Luther and Olive Eddy. Later named the Lincoln School by students.
- Want-Ad Digest & the Engelke Family — Date unknown
- U.S. Department of the Interior — 2008
What was there
This one-room schoolhouse was built around 1830 and housed grades one through eight for over a century. Originally named District 11, it was renamed District 6 around the mid 1850s. Originally there were 2 outhouses behind the school – one for girls and one for boys. It was uncommon in this area for schoolhouses to be constructed of brick during this time.
What is there now
Currently owned by the Brunswick Central School District, the structure is filled with period furnishings and serves as a living history classroom where local elementary school children have the opportunity to learn about what it was like to attend school during the 1800s. There is one outhouse currently standing behind the school.
- Added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 3, 2008.
- Lyrics to “Little Red Schoolhouse” written by local schoolchildren in 2009
- Usually the outhouses had big lilac bushes planted nearby — old-fashioned air freshening.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: