1280 Titus Avenue
Rochester, New York
Get Directions →
Built about 1830 on Ridge Road just west of Culver. This sturdy New England “Salt Box” style home has been moved twice.
By the Irondequoit Historical Society — Date unknown
What was there
This home, and the Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop adjacent to it, were not originally built in this location, but were moved here in recent years. This home originally stood off of Ridge Road near the intersection at Culver Rd, where it was a residential home. It was later moved to 1581 Ridge Road, still housing families, and then to Portland Avenue where it operated as a small gift shop. It was moved to the west lawn of the Irondequoit Town Hall campus on April 11, 1995.
Although the exact date of the build is unknown, the best-guess is that it was built in the 1830s (most likely 1835) by Ransford Perrin, who also built the blacksmith shop. The story goes that he built the blacksmith shop to help develop the newly-settled community, and afterwards built the house to offer a rental home in hopes of attracting a blacksmith and his family to move into town. The first family to rent the home was a farmer. It passed from family to family for generations.
The two story home is brick and wood panel, with a central brick chimney, and an attached shed (built later) that eventually became part of the interior space. It has two rooms on each floor.
What is there now
Now, modern businesses take up the former locations of the home along the Ridge Road commercial district and near Portland Ave. Its three moves were probably critical to its survival. Located next to the (also relocated) Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop at the town hall, it is operated by the town and the Irondequoit Historical Society as a museum and meeting place. Formerly painted red, the building is now painted white with green trim, a common home color scheme at the time. The building has been refurbished and the east room has been set up just like a mid-1800s kitchen. The west room exhibits community displays, and the former shed area serves as a bookshop. A garden between the house and the blacksmith shop has been set up with a variety of useful plants from the pioneer age.
The museum is free to visitors and tours are available (call ahead). Special events, such as a farmers’ market and small festivities are also held here. Check the Historical Society’s website for more information.
- Read more about Mr. Perrin here.
- A Saltbox home is usually a wood-framed building with a long, pitched roof that slopes down to the back. The second floor is full in the front and slopes down to one story at the back.
- Irondequoit Historical Society
- Town of Irondequoit
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: