33 Main Street
Get Directions →
In 1801 Zadoc Cady built a log tavern here. A few years later he built the present building
State Education Department — 1935
What was there
A log home built by Zadoc Cady (a mill-worker and carpenter from Montville, and originally, Connecticut) in 1801 on property he bought from Deacon John Stoyell, Sr. The Cadys ran the front of the cabin as a tavern. A few years later (exact date unknown) a two story framed Federal-style building was built in its place, with the log structure moved behind it. Zadoc’s wife, Lucy, a weaver, operated the inn portion of the tavern. She became known as “Aunt Cady,” a name that long outlived her. She was well-known for her wonderful cooking.
The Cadys built a store just north of the tavern in 1816.
The tavern passed on to Zadoc’s son, Isaac, and his wife, Sophia (Wright) Cady, who continued the business until the Temperance movement of the 1830s, when he destroyed all the liquor and turned the tavern into a temperance house.
Isaac became leader of the local Congressional Church Choir and an active abolitionist. A memorial window on the church (34 Church St) is dedicated to Isaac.
What is there now
The white residential home at which the marker is posted appears the be the remolded tavern, although the application for the National Register mentions the tavern stating that it no longer exists. It may be referring to the original log cabin. The immediate area is residential/commercial.
- Parts of the Village of Moravia was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. View application.
- The tavern property was the headquarters of the local militia regiment.
- For a time, Sempronius Town Court was held in the tavern, and was known for justice, both lawful and criminal, all while the tap was flowing.
- At the time of its settlement, Moravia was known as “The Flats.”
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the noted Woman Suffragist, was a niece of Zadoc Cady.
- Zadoc Cady was born in Killingly, Ct. on January 17, 1764; died March 6th, 1846, aged 82 years.
- Accounts tell that Isaac Cady and Deacon Stoyell ran the stop on the Underground Railroad from this tavern. One particular account, from a The Auburn Semi-Weekly Journal (March 10, 1908) reads :
Many a wagon left this place in the darkness with a negro concealed beneath the blankets, bound for Skaneateles, whence the trip to Canada was made in safety.
- Artemas Cody, Zadoc’s other son, established a stagecoach line between Moravia and Auburn.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: