34B & 76A
Get Directions →
#1 – The Square
So named because of being on lot one of the Town of Scipio. This Presbyterian Church was built in 1825
State Education Department — 1935
What was there
The town of Scipio, in Cayuga County, was formed March 5, 1794 as part of the Central New York Military Tract, a 2 million acre bounty set aside for Revolutionary War soldiers. NY State passed a law on March 23, 1798, which reserved lots of the tract for schools and churches. On March 29, 1809, Lot #1 of Scipio was assigned to this “educational” purpose, and any landowners currently there would be fairly compensated for reallocation of that lot.
This hamlet was commonly referred to as “1 Square,” or simply, “The Square.” A church was built here in 1825. School # 1 (which, over the years, shifted numbers up to #11) was constructed just to the south. Around 1900, “Elm Tree Farm” was to the northeast of the church; “Spring Farm” to the north of the intersection; and “Locust Grove Farm” to the south.
What is there now
The church is now Scipio Baptist Church. The surrounding area is mostly agricultural, with some homes.
We would like to thank the following for helping us with this entry: